2011 Armstrong-Umbel Endurance Classic
Winner: Lake Country Rayden, handled by Marc Forman, owned by Jerry and Sheri Maier
R-U: Upper Cover Desert Devil, handled by Marc Forman, owned by Bob Grassi
Congratulations to Marc Forman and owners of the dogs. Conditions were tough due to unseasonably cold temperatures. (We began on Saturday morning in 14 degrees!) The sun was out and grouse were scarce…the first birds moved were not until the 4th brace on friday afternoon. Despite the tough conditions — cold temperatures, hard and icy ground — a good number of dogs put down strong performances but luck was not on their side. Heartbreak dog of the Classic was 2009 R-U Grouse River Ace. With a beautiful grouse find in the book, he ended his bid in a fateful encounter with an unexpected woodcock with less than 30 minutes to finish.
The Black Ash Grouse Trial Club and Strideaway thank the many supporters of the Classic which could not have been held without their help:
• Allstate Insurance (and Allstate agent, club member, Brian Ralph)
• Enhance Dog Food (and Gary Sheets)
• Beretta, Steiner Germany and the Ruffed Grouse Society provided the caps and the fantastic judges gifts (thanks to reporter Andrew Campbell for arranging that)
• Tom Mains (Mains Pointers and Tito & Mains Development)
• ZoomDog Supplements
• Davis Kennels, Hard Driving Kennels, Northern Kennels, Noel Gibson, Dale Hernden, Tony Bly, Earl DeCarli, Kim Sampson, Shawn K.Wayment, DVM, The Sportsman’s Cabinet, and individuals who purchased caps.
Special thanks also to the fine judges, grouse aficionado, Steve Groy and Utah devil bird chaser, Kim Sampson and reporter Andrew Campbell for their enthusiasm and attention despite the frigid temperatures they faced each morning.
Thanks to club members Joe McCarl and Russ Richardson for their hard work and in their stanch belief for the necessity of an endurance event in the grouse woods.
Thanks to club members and others who helped and walked braces. Special thanks to Tim Perschke and his wife for making their beautiful farm available for the judges and reporter and as trial headquarters. The warm fire at the end of each day was most welcome!
2010 Winner and R-U, Texas Cherry Bomb and Pal O’ Mine in the second brace.
Lake Country Rayden and Two Acre Mobster at the start of the 4th brace.
Upper Cove Desert Devil and Hard Driving Lucy start the 7th brace.
Last brace of the Classic with Chips Uncle Buzzy and 2009 R-U, Grouse River Ace.
Scott Forman shoots for Grouse River Ace as grouse lifts from spruce thicket.
Stay tuned….full report and many more photos to follow!